Monday, February 23, 2009

Never Leave Your Partner - Part II

Okay, I know that I promised part II and some of you have been waiting eagerly. Actually, I was out of town on business in Mexico City. Let me just say that I will never complain about the traffic again. Unbelievable!! I am sure that the first part to wear out on the cars in Mexico City is the horn.

Anyway, I will continue with part II. Based on my research, the number one cause of death related to fires is smoke inhalation. An estimated 50%-80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation injuries rather than burns. You may ask so what. Well think about it. You and your partner are called on the scene of a fire. You enter the burning building due to the fire, not the smoke, with a goal to put out the fire. Yet almost 80% of the time the fire is not the most deadly element.

So how does this relate to your marriage? I am glad you asked. Many times marriages go through very difficult times. Times that are intense with flames that seem to be hotter than you think you can stand. It is during this time that we focus on putting out the flame and forget about the deadly by-product. What we say and how we treat one another during that time is not the fire but it is the smoke. It is the smoke that will remain and cause damage and sometimes even the death of a marriage, even after the fire has been extinguished.

Encouragement: During the fires that will come, don't forget about the smoke. May our attitude and love for one another be so evident during the fire that there is no residual hurt when the fire is over.

Stay tuned for Part III....

2 comments:

Diane Teague said...

The old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is the biggest lie. Physical wounds heal but it is much harder to heal ugly words and treatment. I guess that is why God wants us to guard our words.

Just a little lesson learned along the way.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Andrea said...

So glad you made it back safe - Shay was worried SICK about your safety!!!! : ) You didn't happen to see any wrecks on the side of the rode and just drive on by, did ya??? HA!

Great Post!