Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Turkey On Fire!!

Well, it has been a while since I have had the chance to write. I took the week of Thanksgiving off thinking this would give me all kinds of time to relax and get caught up on things. It never quite works out that way.

This holiday was fun for me. We had my family over to our house to celebrate Thanksgiving. Shay had found a new recipe for the turkey and ask me to cook it on the grill. Despite my reluctance of putting the traditional meat and main dish on my shoulders, I bravely accepted. We thought about doing a trial run before the big day but decided to wing it. The turkey breasts (no one in my family likes the dark meat) were thawed and marinated the night before and now it was time. It began simple enough and since you have to grill it with the lid shut, I was periodically peeking and all was well. Then from the kitchen window Shay spotted flames and quickly notified me. I opened the grill to find flaming turkeys. As I removed them from the heat and beat them against the grill surface to put the flames out my mind was thinking, where can I get meat at 2 o'clock on Thanksgiving day. All was not lost however, I lowered the heat put them back on the grill and let them continue to cook not sure how they would turn out. When they were done, the charred skin peeled off like a coat and the juices had been locked inside giving the turkey a very juicy good flavor.

What a memory and it made for fun dinner conversation. What did I learn, besides the netting may survive an oven but not a grill? Well I was reminded that it is not about the quality of the food (even though it was great), but the blessings of the family and friends that God has placed in our lives. May we not just say thank-you once a year but demonstrate it every day to those we call our family and friends.

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting.-- Author Unknown

1 comment:

The Schindel Six said...

Thank you family. We love you three!