Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Football, Parenting & Life

Okay, I know what some may be thinking, "Football!! I hear enough about this from my husband and I don't care." Well, hear me out anyway. Last night was Monday night football, San Francisco 49ers vs. Arizona Cardinals. As a fan of neither, I was watching the game because, well, because it is football and that is what we men do (Arr, Arr, Arr). Anyway, I digress, the game was a back and forth game and came down to the last play. Arizona has the lead by 5 points and the 49ers have the ball on the 2 yard line. The whole game comes down to this play. If they stop them from scoring, Arizona wins the game. The play was called and the 49ers ran the football up the middle to try to score. The Cardinals' defense surged ahead to stop the ball just short of the goal line to win the game.
As I read the final outcome this morning (since I went to bed before it finished), I was reminded of some things I heard Sunday during our group discussion. This parenting thing is tough and as hard as we try sometimes it feels as if we are failing. Sure, we have little successes that give us encouragement, but a lot of times, all we see and hear are the issues. (Insert name) has been ... And sometimes it gets to the point where you feel like a failure.
Let me encourage you to stand on the line and defend the end zone for your kids. I know it seems at times as if you have been playing the game forever and you are tired and weak. Keep defending the line. Keep directing the hearts of your kids to the Lord. So much more than the outcome of a game depends on it. This may be the time when you begin to see real change, not in just behavior, but in the heart.
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." - Walter Elliott

2 comments:

Andrea said...

To me understand this post, could you please tell me one thing? Um, what's an "End Zone"? To help me understand men, why must you always watch a football game on even if your team is not playing? Who cares who wins.

Encouraging post though!

Kimberly said...

Leave it to a guy to compare parenting to football! And I've watched enough football games over the years, that what you said actually makes sense to me.

This really was a good post! Thanks for sharing parenting from the "guy's" perspective.